• Certain types of automobile Insurance are compulsory in Ontario, when a vehicle, including a recreational vehicle such as an ATV is on public property. Proof of insurance has to be available at all times in the form of a document which is commonly referred to as the “pink slip”, but formally known as a “Canada inter-province motor vehicle liability insurance card”. The owner of the vehicle and the named insured should match, and the insured, along with vehicle are identified on the document, as well as the insurance company, policy number and policy period.
  • The actual policy document, known as a policy declaration page, identifies the insured, the insurer, and the vehicle, but also identifies the actual coverage on the policy and the premium.


  • In Ontario, an ATV is a motorized vehicle and if the vehicle is operated on public property certain types of coverage are compulsory, including third party liability coverage and no-fault accident benefit coverage, and certain no-fault collision coverage.
  • Physical damage coverage such as collision and comprehensive coverage are optional. Home insurance policies do not provide coverage for ATV’s and other recreational vehicles.
  • Coverage from an automobile policy applies whether the vehicle is being used on public or private property. If an ATV is being used on public property in a municipality that prohibits, the owner/driver may be subject to a fine, but coverage, subject to the normal conditions of a standard automobile policy would still apply.
  • In certain situations, automobile coverage may be restricted or denied, such as situations in which the driver is convicted of a criminal offence, the vehicle is used in a race, the driver is not licensed, and some other situations which are violations of the insurance contract.


  • Compulsory automobile coverage, such as coverage for third party liability, no-fault accident benefits, uninsured motorist coverage and limited no-fault collision coverage, is extended from the pulling vehicle to a trailer.
  • A separate policy on the trailer is needed for physical damage resulting from losses that would be covered by optional collision and comprehensive coverage.
  • When an ATV is on a trailer and the trailer is involved in a collision or upset, there is no extension of coverage to the ATV from the trailer policy or the pulling vehicle policy because the ATV would need its own policy for collision and/or comprehensive coverage.


  • If there is an emergency and you have to call 911, ask for fire first and then ambulance, as fire departments will come to the scene of the accident if needed. Information on GPS coordinates from your own GPS device, forest markers and the GPS coordinates on the back of the nearest NDATV sign will help everyone involved.

Life Insurance


Dan Harp is a NDATV member, a State Farm Insurance and Financial Services Representative agent, with Ted Harp Insurance Agency Ltd. and a sponsor to the Northumberland District ATV Riders Club.


If you have any questions on insurance, you can contact Dan at his email or view his website at

If you have questions on insurance you can also contact the Insurance Bureau of Canada (IBC) at their website and at

Northumberland District ATV Riders Club